Tuesday 30 April 2013

If you ride like lightning, you're going to crash like thunder.

- The Place Beyond the Pines (2012).


Burn hard, baby.


So my husband, Ryan Gosling (we like our privacy), has a new film out. 

The Place Beyond the Pines is a lengthy film in three parts; each focalised on a different character. It is 100% not what I was expecting initially and I don't want to give too much away but here goes...



Working in a cinema, I 'm lucky enough to watch the first  captivating shot of this film every time it plays. Opening on Gosling's six pack (best bit) the camera follows Luke (Gosling) in a long three or four minute shot that defines the character completely. From the clothes, tattoos, music, backdrop, and still we haven't seen that beautiful-carved-by-angels-little-bit-obsessed face.



Gosling is best playing the mysterious, brooding character (think Blue Valentine, Drive) and Luke is no different; returning to Schenectady -try saying that 5 times- with the travelling carnival he looks to reunite with a former lover, Romina (Eva Mendes, bitch). Turns out Romina recently had his baby in secret and here we see the softer, fall-in-love-instantly side of Luke who is desperate to support his child. Teaming up with Robin (Ben Mendelsohn) they commit a series of bank robberies that - as cliched as this sounds - will have you on the edge of your seat.



The robberies become increasingly intense and this is where we meet desperate to prove him self police officer Avery Cross (Bradley Cooper). Schenectady police department is as corrupt as they come and the unfolding drama kept me glued to the action, turn after turn. 


Cianfrance takes us on a journey of over fifteen years, and we meet the grown up son that Luke was so determined to provide for. The film is a constant echo of how history can affect the future, and how one action can leave a legacy on another. Although in some parts I found the film to be fairly predictable this didn't in any way pawn my interest in the story. It twists and turns like a rollercoaster at Luke's travelling fair.

Cooper plays the role of Cross very well, but to follow the burning desire that is Gosling as the troubled but good at heart motorbike stunt rider is a difficult job. The film lacks the same intensity portrayed in the first third as it proceeds, but is absolutely captivating none the less. It's as heartwrenching as it is exciting and as usual Gosling (my hubby) of course, is top of my list.



Have you seen this? 

Will you?




x



i do not own these images

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this film, but it sounds pretty good from your review of it :) I'm hopeless at keeping up with cinema and films, I only just got around to watching Perks and that's my fave book! I will definitely put this on my to-watch list though, think my other half would enjoy it too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see this baaaaaad, love a bit of Gosling! But my friends do not (I know right, WHUT?) so I may have to see this alone. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this looked so good, and not just for the appearances of Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper! From this it definitely sounds worth seeing. On a different note, just found your blog and (without sounding like a suck up) I really love your writing style!

    xx

    ReplyDelete