Monday 22 July 2013

Then these are her last days of freedom.

Cheap & Chic?


I know we're all fans of cheap clothing, in these poor economical times that £5 Primark up-with-the-trend dress is oh so tempting. 

After the garment factory collapse in Bangladesh a few months ago, the news has been totally playing on my conscience. Is wearing cheap clothing immoral? Am I a bad person for being so stingey when it comes to new threads? 

... does this mean I'm supporting these poor working conditions and therefore am to blame for the collapse and subsequent 600 death toll?

My mind has been spiralling for weeks, it's so difficult because as consumers there isn't a whole bunch that we can do, save doing research and finding out a bit more about where our cheap threads come from. 

I realise this isn't a standard fashion blogger post, but the thought of making genuine contributions to these poor working conditions through purchasing a cheap dress, a life is worth more than that £10 paisley print piece.

As a result of this, I've decided to show more about my - slightly obsessive - charity shop shopping. Before all this I was already a lover of the charity shops but now I feel more determined to make 'recycled' fashion work for me. 

I'm definitely part of the problem sitting here in my Primark pants so please don't think I'm preaching - but what difference can I make alone? This has to be something rolled out from top to bottom.  I don't think I'll ever make a complete cold turkey quit of Primark and the likes, but now I'll think twice about where this garment has come from - and what price it really cost.

Maybe the big-wig executives should contemplate the same...

What do you think?


x

2 comments:

  1. I worry about this all the time. I generally avoid Primark, but many other labels like Zara have had slave labour trouble. At the end of the day, I can't afford to shop anywhere other than where I shop. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a difficult catch 22, definitely. xx

      Delete